The UAE doesn’t usually get its share of rain, the new exhibit lets people experience a constant indoor rainstorm. Visitors won’t even get wet and still can enjoy rain. They use exceptional trigger motion sensors that are able to detect movements, the rain creates a pause anywhere people walk through. Visitors are allowed to chase the rain if they want, but they will never be able to catch it. Rain Room is built on an area of 1,460 sq m, the site is now permanently installed at Al Majarah, near Buhaira Corniche. Rain Room uses 1,200 litres of self-cleaning recycled water that provides a continuous stream of rainfall.
His Highness Dr Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, the Ruler of Sharjah, inaugurated the Rain Room yesterday (Sunday April 29) and walked through himself. This will now be permanently and exclusively housed in the Middle East.
Founded in 2005, Random International is a London-based collaborative studio for experimental and digital practice within contemporary art. Their work, which includes sculpture, performance and large-scale architectural installations, signifies the relationship between man and machine and centres on audience interaction.
Rain Room was launched at The Curve, Barbican, London (2012) and then presented at the Museum of Modern Art, New York (2013), Yuz Museum, Shanghai (2015) and Los Angeles County Museum of Art (2015–2017). It is now permanently and exclusively housed in the Middle East through the efforts of Sharjah Art Foundation.
The Rain Room building in Sharjah has been designed by Sharjah Art Foundation and the UAE-based SpaceContinuum Design Studio in collaboration with Shape Architecture Practice + Research, Sharjah.
Tickets are sold on site.
-Adult: 25 AED
-Student: 15 AED (up to 22 years-ID required)
-Teachers: 15 AED (ID required)
-Children: Free admission (up to 5 years)
-Disabilities and one care giver: Free admission
Sat – Thurs: 09:00 to 21:00
Fri: 16:00 to 23:00
Sat – Thurs:
From 10:00 to 16:00
From 21:00 to 24:00
Fri: 16:00 to 24:00
Regulations and Guidelines
• No food or beverage is allowed inside the installation.
• Children should be supervised at all times.
• Visitors are discouraged from wearing skinny high heels.
• Dark, shiny, reflective or impermeable clothing may affect the function of the sensors.
• If visitors move impulsively within the installation, slight contact with water is possible.
• The installation requires regular maintenance and is subject to temporary closure during the day.
• Use of photographic equipment and mobile phones is entirely at the risk of the owner.
• No professional photography is allowed without explicit prior permission from Sharjah Art Foundation.
• Visitors are asked to abstain from shooting for any other purpose than documenting their visit to Rain Room. Performance and music videos, product photography or fashion shoots are not permitted.
• Visitors are encouraged to photograph and share on social media with the hashtag #RainRoomSharjah.
Sharjah Art Foundation
c/o Sharjah Art Museum
Sharjah – United Arab Emirates.
P.O. Box: 19989
Tel.: +971 6 544 4113, +971 6 568 5050
Fax: +971 6 568 5800
e-mail: [email protected]
Photo courtesy: www.sharjahart.org
View World Map in a larger map